Southgate Christian Community is a collaborative worship and ministry venture between two churches, the Alliance Church Calwell and Brindabella Baptist Church. We believe that God has directed us to work together rather than apart to strengthen both churches and enrich how we serve our wider community. The collaboration began mid-2014 and we commenced weekly worship together in Feb 2015. Our purpose is to express life as a community of believers transformed by the power of the Cross, secure in the Father’s love, and empowered by the Holy Spirit to serve like Jesus served.
To be a community of radical grace impacting Tuggeranong and beyond
To invite people to become devoted followers of Jesus Christ
- We will seek to worship God with our whole being,
- We will be committed to an evangelical understanding of Scripture recognising the vital place of prayerful and Holy-Spirit-led lives,
- We will love and honour one another,
- We will seek to release people into ministry so that the ‘right people are in the right ministry at the right time’ according to God’s direction,
- We will be culturally relevant and authentic in both church ministry and community outreach,
- We will focus on loving outreach while seeking to mature the church as each person makes their unique contribution.
- God eternally exists in three persons, Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- The Bible is the inspired word of God and is the only rule for faith and practice.
- All people are created in God’s image and thus have dignity and value.
- Jesus Christ died on the cross, rose again from the dead, ascended into heaven and will physically return to earth to consummate His kingdom. He is the hope of humankind and only by His atoning work can a person be reconciled to God.
- The Holy Spirit has been sent to indwell, sanctify and empower the believer to live for the glory of God.
- The Church has been called by God to share the Gospel in word and deed both locally and globally.
Leadership at Southgate
Southgate currently has three part-time people on staff. Pastor Wayne Martin oversees the teaching and pastoral care areas. Rev Rod Russell-Brown leads the outreach ministries and small groups. Ms Trisha Winterbotham handles administrative matters. Overall leadership at Southgate is provided by the Collaborative Leadership Team.
The Two Churches
Alliance Church Calwell (formerly Tuggeranong Alliance Church) was planted in 1990 and met for a number of years in Tuggeranong Community Centre before erecting the current church facility. As a part of the Christian and Missionary Alliance the church emphasises the importance of the deeper life with Christ and international mission.
Brindabella Baptist Church was planted in 1991 and seeks to be Spirit-led and honour Jesus in all we do. Our core values are to love God, love God’s Word, love others and love ourselves. We seek to honour each person and gift that Jesus brings into our community. BBC is a part of the Baptist Union of ACT and NSW.
We strive to be a safe place for children and adults. For details see our Safe Church Page.